Saturday, January 22, 2011

Cream of Celery Soup

I got this out of my Vitamix cookbook and have made it several times. I always have some in the refrigerator so I can just heat up a bowl!

2 1/2 cups chicken broth (I used vegetable)
1/2 small onion, peeled
4 cups (480g) celery, chopped
1/3 cup (45g) parsnips, scrubbed and chopped
1 small potato, scrubbed, baked (I omitted)
1 garlic clove, peeled
1/8 t pepper
1/2 t salt
1/4 cup half&half, heavy cream or milk (I used sour cream once and greek yogurt another time)

Place all ingredients except the half&half in the vitamix container in the order listed and secure the lid. Select Variable 1, turn the machine on , quickly increase the speed to variable 10 and then to high. Blend for 6-7 minutes until heavy steam escapes from the vented lid. reduce speed to variable 4 and remove the lid plug. Add half&half through the lid plug and blend an additional 15 seconds.

If you don't have a vitamix, you can probably use a regular blender to blend the ingredients and then cook on the stovetop to heat through. I would probably blend again at the end to make sure the soup is well blended. This is soooo good and has fantastic flavor!!

No comments:

Post a Comment