Monday, August 12, 2013

"Creamy" Pesto Sauce



2 cups lightly packed fresh basil leaves
1 cup olive oil
1 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 garlic cloves, peeled
1/2 cup pine nuts
1/2 teaspoon salt (I used Pink Himalayan)
1 pound tofu, drained (I used soft)

Combine all ingredients, except tofu, in a blender or food processor that has been fitted with the metal cutting blade; blend until smooth.  Cut tofu in chunks and process until smooth.  Serve over pasta.

Notes: I tossed my pesto with spelt spaghetti noodles. It made enough to serve over 1 1/2 pounds of pasta.  If you toss it with the pasta like I did, I would suggest tossing the pasta with olive oil first since it came out a little dry.

You can also just leave the tofu out and it will be a regular pesto sauce.  I added the tofu since I needed to use it up and I wanted some extra protein.  I couldn't taste it and my family was none the wiser!

2 comments: